Schedule of Events
45th Annual Save The Bay Swim
Saturday, July 17, 2021
All participants will park at the Conanicut Marine Boat Yard, 260 Conanicus Avenue, Jamestown, RI -- Please follow instructions of volunteers with flags.
All shuttles will leave from the Conanicut Marine Boat Yard to The Naval Station Newport
5:00 AM to 6:30 AM
THE LAST SHUTTLE TO Navy Base for check in is 6:30 AM -- NO EXCEPTIONS
No spectators will be allowed on the Naval Base due to COVID restrictions and precautions.
COVID SHUTTLE RULES:
• Limit number of swimmers on each shuttle.
• Swimmers must maintain six feet of distance and wear their mask at all times while on shuttle.
• No more than 36 people on a bus at one time (3 people per 3 seats).
• Sanitize between each trip
• Windows will remain open for ventilation
SWIMMERS & VOLUNTEERS
1.Park at the Conanicut Marine Boat Yard, located behind the Jamestown Police, Conanicus Avenue, Jamestown, RI
3.Have your Drivers License for check in
4.The Navy staff will check your id against the master list of ALL SWIMMERS and VOLUNTEERS.
5.The Navy staff will stamp/mark you hand to confirm your ID.
Participant Check-In (5:00 to 7:00 AM)
COVID CHECK-IN PRECAUTIONS
• No more than 100 swimmers will be allowed to participate in the event (typically 300 to 450 swimmers)
• No kayakers will be allowed to accompany individual swimmers other than the Safety Squad
• Only limited staff and volunteers will be allowed on base
• Swimmers will line up six feet apart for Check-In
• Masks are required for Check-In process
• Save The Bay will have several hand washing and sanitation stations at check-in and at the swimmer numbering area
• Swimmers will keep six feet distancing when staging for the start line
Safety Briefing: 7:05 AM
A safety briefing for all kayakers and swimmers will take place at 7:05 am. The swimmer and safety squad will start their swim in one wave at 7:30 a.m. The swimmers and kayakers are on the water for approximately two hours. Participants will arrive no later than 9:45 am in Jamestown.
The Start: 7:30 to 7:50 AM
7:30 AM – All swimmers will start in one wave
***Anyone using fins must start at the back of the pack.
If for any reason, you do not get in the water or decide to get out before finishing, you MUST notify a Save The Bay staff member. Swimmers who have not checked in on the morning of the Swim WILL NOT BE PERMITTED to enter the water. Unregistered swimmers will be removed from the water immediately and may be prosecuted.The Coast Guard requires that we maintain an accurate count of swimmers and kayakers in the water. Unregistered swimmers endanger other swimmers and cause errors in our accounting system. If you're not registered, don't swim.
The Swim course runs roughly parallel to the Newport Bridge. The finish in Jamestown is around Taylor Point in Potter Cove. Use the two green Coast Guard navigation buoys to guide you out of the start. Swim toward Taylor Point. Taylor Point in Jamestown is marked with orange netting, reflective sheets. There will also be a yellow buoy near Taylor Point. As you approach the Jamestown side, you will pass to the right (or north) of Taylor Point. After you round the point, you will see the finish area. Be aware that the Bay bottom at the finish line is soft with rocks and holes, so please walk carefully. Swimmers will have two hours to complete the swim.
The finish will be at the shoreline on Potter Cove, Jamestown, RI. Swimmers will exit the water and be given a popsicle stick for timing. Please hand the popsicle stick to the volunteers in pink. Swimmers will exit the water and receive a finisher medal, t-shirt and towel.
Due to restrictions, there will be no Celebration on the Rhode Island Bridge and Turnpike Authority lawn.
Swimmers will exit the beach and return to the car in the Conanicut Boat Yard parking lot.