____ SEAWORTHY KAYAK OR SIT-ON-TOP KAYAK (9.5 ft minimum, 6” grace)
____ TWO ADULT LIFE JACKETS – one for the kayaker, one for the swimmer (One PFD may be a throwable)
____ WHISTLE / SIGNALING DEVICE
All Kayakers must be 18 years or older and have experience in a kayak. The Kayaker must be able to kayak as fast as their Swimmer can swim. Kayakers must be able to hold their Swimmer until help arrives if necessary
While not required, Kayakers are invited to raise funds and compete for prizes. Volunteer kayakers who are not assigned to a swimmer must meet the same equipment requirements. Please call Leanne at 401-272-3540, x140 to register for the Save The Bay Kayak Safety Squad.
For kayak rentals and delivery, please contact Narrow River Kayaks.
- Kayakers and Swimmers register with volunteers at check in and receive their mesh vest.
- Mesh vests will be color coded for waves three, four and five (blue, yellow, green).
- The number on the kayaker’s mesh vest will match the swimmer number of the swimmer they are responsible for.
- Kayakers will be briefed on the protocol on the water before the Swim and told that mesh vests must be worn on the outside of their Personal Flotation Device (PFD) during the Swim.
- They will be directed to land in a designated area near the finish line at Potter Cove.
- They must hand in their mesh vest to volunteer/staff who will be distinguished by a designated, bright-green t-shirt.
- We can not enforce kayakers to get out of the water in Jamestown. During the safety briefing, we will announce that kayakers should not paddle back to Newport, but arrange for a vehicle pick up at the finish in Jamestown.
- Since mesh vest numbers on kayakers will match the swimmer number, the Safety Squad will have better visibility of swimmers in the water.
- Finish Line: Potter Cove, Jamestown. Volunteeers on beach/in water collect mesh vests; additional volunteers run mesh vests to check out table, calling out the vest numbers in hand while other volunteers check off numbers on pre-printed spreadsheets.
The Save The Bay Safety Squad is a group of trained and experienced kayakers and paddleboarders which acts as an additional safety layer around swimmers and kayakers. Safety Kayakers watch for those who may need assistance and serve as extra eyes on the water. Contact email@example.com.
Must be a very experienced and seasoned kayaker
Must provide your own kayak and safety equipment (flotation, etc.).
Complete the Swim waiver online ahead of time
Attend an information session before the Swim.
Please read the Safety Squad posting for full details and to sign the special waiver for those who will be working on the water.